Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. by: Judy Blume



"Amazon" says: "Margaret Simon, almost twelve, has just moved from New York City to the suburbs, and she’s anxious to fit in with her new friends. When she’s asked to join a secret club she jumps at the chance. But when the girls start talking about boys, bras, and getting their first periods, Margaret starts to wonder if she’s normal. There are some things about growing up that are hard for her to talk about, even with her friends. Lucky for Margaret, she’s got someone else to confide in . . . someone who always listens.

My Thoughts: I remember reading this book as a kid when in elementary school. If I recall correctly it was for a book report but that was so many years ago that I don't recall that story word for word. It was on the must read again as an adult list for sure, I love doing that, see how my adult brain differs from my kid brain, how thoughts have changed & not changed. We took a camping trip & I wanted to have it with me just to have some light reading. vacations are great for reading. I LOVED IT. I can see myself in Margaret. She has such spunk. I JUST LOVE HER!!! She is determined to figure things out, who is God, why do so many folks go to different churches? What is the world all about & how will it change her when becoming older & a woman. She won't let any one change her, She loves her grandma & loves her handmade sweaters. She refuses to let other make fun of her. Now here is where we might be getting a bit TMI (too much info. for some?!!) but a big part of this book is about little girls becoming women. I can say I never ever was surprised excited about being a woman. Growing up, having a period & all that jazz. I wanted to be out playing the yard, skipping, reading, camping, whatever. So I remember the big period day but not very fondly like Margaret did. Have you read this book? Would you want to read it again? Beth ( :

I bought this book on my kindle with my very own money. 

Comments

William Kendall said…
At some point ages ago I read something or another by her, but it wasn't this one.
Rose said…
I have not read it but you are tempting me... and I have been meaning to read Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn again. Not that I haven't read them since adulthood, it has just been a while.