Thirteen R3asons Why by: Jay Asher



"Thirteen R3asons Why" by: Jay Asher 

"Amazon" says: You can’t stop the future. 

You can’t rewind the past.

The only way to learn the secret . . . is to press play.

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker—his classmate and crush—who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and as he follows Hannah’s recorded words throughout his town, what he discovers changes his life forever.


Do you remember the saying "olly-olly-oxen-free!!"? ... To find out more about the book "see here". I kind of have mixed feelings over this book. In a way I feel it was glorifying suicide. Maybe that is not the right word for it, but that is how it came across to me. I really hope that any one who might need help knows they can get it, they just have to ask. I do understand where the author is coming from that when you do act mean to others it is like a domino effect ...so you have to think about what you are saying & doing in your daily life. No bullying, no meanness & treat others how you want to be treated.

Suicide is such a tough issue, I know in my graduating class there were 2 parents who were lost due to suicide. When any one is lost due to suicide it hurts & you do notice such a change in the school life. The class above mine there were 2 students who were lost due to suicide.

I really feel that if a teacher knew or had a thought that a student was indeed in emotional trouble that they would ask for help from other teachers, a mental health professional, & that they would have a step-by-step process to go through to ensure something would happen to help the student right away. In other words this is a case that would not be taken lightly.

I found this book on Amazon for sale in paperback form for $.99 cents plus shipping ... so I grab it up. What I really do love is the writing style. As a kid I always played with tapes, so speaking into tapes was one of my favorite past times. Have you read it, what did you think? Beth ( :

Comments

William Kendall said…
I haven't heard of it before... the premise sounds good.
Blogoratti said…
It is indeed a tough issue and is never easy for the parents. Thanks for sharing the book and your thoughts.

Popular Posts